Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My Story About Roller-Skating When I Was A Child


I'm just a beginner writing down experiences of my childhood days. Maybe someday it will get better. I grew up on a dairy farm in rural Idaho. The games we would play were done at our elementary school. I recollect the school was on a hill, and I had to ride a school bus for a while to get there. Keep in mind I looked forward to recess, I recall that time of day was especially fun. I was permitted to bring my own roller-skates to school. I had a pair of silver roller-skates. I didn't have the kind of skates that rode smoothly, or the kind that you took your shoes off for. My skates were the kind you slipped your shoes into them. Up near the top of my brown saddle shoes there were these shoe fasteners that were on my skates that held onto the soles of my shoes. I used my skate key that was on a ribbon that was tied in the back which I wore my skate key around my neck. I used my skate key to tighten and loosen the skates. I could easily turn my skates over and use my skate key to make the skates larger when my foot grew. I remember there was a brown leather strap that buckled over the top of my shoes near my ankle. The wheels were made of steel. I think my parents invested wisely with these skates. Not only was I able to use them for three years, but I'm sure my siblings used them also.

The sidewalk went around the entire school. The school was laid out in a rectangular shape. I remember it wasn't smooth sailing, when I got the skates on either. The sidewalk had big gaps in it. There were no parts of the sidewalk that was level. It was hard to maneuver when you came to those parts. I ended up falling on my knees a lot. I probably went through all the school nurses band-aids. I think it took too long to go clear around the school, so I just went around the 1st 2nd and 3rd grade areas. I had a lot of fun roller-skating even with the bumps, bruises, and the bleeding.

No comments:

Post a Comment